Saturday, January 21, 2012

Well I hope you're happy...

You'd never know it from the 'romantic' sub-plot of the Star Wars prequels, but George Lucas has feelings. Check out this interview he did with The New York Times about his new WWII movie. In it, he expresses the human emotion known as frustration when discussing the admittedly toxic feedback he gets from fans.
'Oh Anakin, my burning passion for your love
burns with a hot burning passion of love.'
This for example, was uncalled for.
It turns out that this isn't just another 20 year lull between Star Wars movies. He's done. No more Star Wars movies for us. "Why would I make any more...when everybody yells and you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?" You can see why he feels this way, I mean, a lot of Star Wars fans HATE the prequels and the Special Editions and are pretty vocal about it. But I don't know, does anyone really think he's a terrible person? It's not him, it's his 'vision' people have a problem with.


Yeah, that takes me back....
to a time 45 years before I was born.
Lucas always said that Star Wars was intended as an homage to the sci-fi serials of the 1940's and that's cool. The problem is that most fans (of the Original Trilogy) are like the grandkids of people who know what the hell a serial is, so we were all expecting the prequels to be like Star Wars. I don't know about you, but I have no idea if either trilogy re-captures the magic of pre-war Flash Gordon. I do know that Episodes 4-6 were awesome and 1-3 were devoted to sucking the joy out of 4-6. They made Darth Vader into a whiny child-murderer and Yoda into a hyper-active ninja who beheads clones without a second thought. Lucas sees Star Wars one way, and the fans see it another. Guess who wins?

Hey kids, look it's your pal Yoda! And-oh, my god,
what is he...? Holy shit, did he just stab that guy?  
Pictured: George Lucas single-handedly
making Star Wars while some other
people look on.
On a side note, in the interview he also said this: "I'm saying: 'But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.'" Ok, that's true, I mean he does own Star Wars. But it sounds a little like he's forgetting the contributions of John Dykstra, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, the cast, the crew and the hundreds of extremely creative people who have spent the last 30 years building the Expanded Universe. Also, the works of Isaac Asimov, Akira Kurosawa and Alex Raymond, which he's often cited as inspiration.

We feel you Indy, we feel you.
Anyway, you think he'd be touched to know that fans care so much about his creation that they (ok, we) get so rabid-foaming crazy about it, but I can see how the last 13 years (when did that happen?) of living with fan prequel-rage and Special Edition ire can wear on you, and the last Indiana Jones movie didn't help things either. So no more Star Wars movies. Did we bring this upon ourselves? Is it really a bad thing? If we start making nice now, do you think he'd let someone else direct Star Wars: Episode VII: KOTOR: The Movie? 

George, we're basically asking you to let us give you more money
and love you again. You don't even have to get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment