Monday, February 15, 2016

I didn't mean it literally...

I'm sorry to see that Antonin Scalia died, I really am. And I mean that in an 'expressing condolences' way, not in an 'I had something to do with it' sort of way. Sure, I thought he was kind of a jerk, but I didn't wish him dead. I did once suggest that we feed him to bears, but I meant that figuratively. Sort of.
What? There are less adorable ways to go.
Great for straight white homophobic
evangelicals...didn't I say that part?
Anyway, he's dead now and it came at a really inconvenient time for Republicans so they're requesting that the President not fill the vacant seat on the Supreme Court. Did I say request? I meant demand. They're demanding he defer the nomination until next year. How come? You see that way the next President, which they hope will be a Republican, can pick the next Justice who can then maybe reverse Roe V. Wade, dismantle Obamacare and un-marry gay people and make America great again.

Yup, after having spent the last eight years threatening shutdowns, sending racist email about him to each other and then fighting him on pretty much everything. It's been a lot of fun for everyone involved. Couple this with the fact that their candidates for President are, I think it's fair to say, ridiculous, and you can see how this is a pretty big ask.
I wouldn't trust these guys to predict
 spring, and we let groundhogs do that.
Pffttt...the President, who does he
think he is? Wielding constitutional
authority like that...
Just to be on the safe side though, Mitch McConnell has announced that his party will block anyone the President nominates:

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President."

-Mitch McConnell, apparently 
unclear on a few points

Hey, funny story, we actually do have a voice in the selection since we elected the President, like twice, so a lot of people are a bit fuzzy on what McConnell's beef is.
"Hey, remember how we've behaved like a bunch of obstructionist assholes the 
entire time you've been in office? Well now we need you to do a favor for us."
-The GOP

No comments:

Post a Comment