Monday, February 5, 2018

Today in things I don't care about:

Let me begin by first saying that I actually don't care about Superman, like as a character. I don't have anything against him, but I wouldn't say, pick up a Superman comic or go see another Superman-related movie.
"No, I want more harpsichord! More! And a choir, singing dirges.
I want the audience to feel like they're sitting through a papal funeral."
-Batman V Superman director Zach Snyder
Is it a spoiler when the show's
logo gives away the ending?
I mention this because it's going to sound like I'm bagging on Superman-about whom I have no particular opinion-when what I mean to bag on is superhero TV shows. Specifically I want to call out the two, yes two upcoming TV shows based on Superman in which Superman will not appear. Yup. The latest prequel nobody in the world ever asked to see is Krypton, which is about Superman's grandfather, Seg-El, living on Krypton (the planet, not the noble gas) before he and it explode in an origin story's dramatic necessity. Spoiler? I guess?

Gotham joins The Walking Dead
Big Little Lies and Suits on the list of
of TV shows that don't feature Batman.
Anyway, this isn't the only prequel Superman series, there's also something called Metropolis being put together by the same creative team as Gotham. Remember Gotham? It's that Batman show that isn't about Batman because it takes place when Bruce Wayne is like ten. Anyway, as Gotham is to Batman, Metropolis is to Superman, that is to say Superman doesn't really figure into it. The show will be about alliteration victims Lois Lane and Lex Luthor teaming up to solve science-crime.No, really, that's the plan.

"We saw what Marvel was doing and thought:
what if we did that, only more confusing?"
-DC
Like, I guess if there were a show about Superman that was really good, I could see the justification for spin-offs centered on peripheral characters, but  there's not. Which is weird. I mean, he's like DC's mascot so why isn't there a TV Superman? Unlike Marvel's MCU, DC's 'Extended Universe' keeps TV and film separate, so it's not like it would interfere with the movie series. Also there's a TV Flash played by Grant Gustin who's a completely different Flash from movie Flash played by Ezra Miller, and TV Aquaman will be different from Jason Momoa's. There's even a TV Superman that appears on the Supergirl series but no Superman series.

Well, it is easier than
writing new things.
Look, his year alone will see Avengers: Infinity War, Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Deadpool, a Venom solo movie, Aquaman, and X-Men: Dark Phoenix. And that's just movies. On TV-well, streaming, there's Arrow, Flash, Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Preacher, Walking Dead, The Gifted, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil and Legion. Did I miss any? Yes, I absolutely did. Also, that's not counting animated comic book adaptations of which there are many.

The point is, it's not like it's a risky time to pump out another comic book-based series. And I'm not asking for a Superman show, because again, I don't care about the character. I'm just baffled as to why they're scrapping the bottom of the Super-cannon with Superman's grandpa and Louis and Lex: Sci-Crime Squad while ignoring their most recognizable, over-powered yet under-interesting charac-wait, is it the tights? It's the tights, isn't it?
Yes it's the tights. No one, literally no one, can possibly be taken seriously in the outfit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment