Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Wig out!

It's not just me, right? Like, Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher looks, and I mean this objectively, ridiculous?
Pictured: Henry Cavill cosplaying Vigo the Carpathian. 
Pictured: just some of the world's 38
million Poles who don't care what
I think about their language.
It's possible that you have no idea what I'm talking about, and if that's the case, I'd like to congratulate you on leading an active and social life. Here, let me explain. For reasons of synergy and branding, Netflix is turning The Witcher into a TV show. The Witcher, if you didn't know, is a series of short stories and novels by Polish fantasy novelist Andrzej Sopkowski about a monster hunter called Geralt who, you know, hunts monsters. And no, I don't know how Polish expects to get away with putting d-r-z right in a row like that.

Sort of like how no one cared about Harry
Potter until the GBA game came out.
(source: making things up)
Anyway, the books were written in the 90's but became super popular in the U.S. when they were adapted into a series of video games, particularly The Witcher III. And now, since everything has to be adapted into some other thing, Netflix is turning The Witcher into a TV series. While they're certainly going to be banking on the game's popularity, the series is supposedly based on the books, and I suppose that could explain why Cavil doesn't so much look like the Geralt most of us are familiar with, but holy shit, the wig. I mean, the wig...

Someone looked at this and said
"Let's do this, only terrible."
I've read a few of the Witcher books and played the game and they're all pretty great. And dubious as I am about TV series based on video games, or series that try to cash in on Games of Thrones' success (and of course it is) I'll probably even checkout the series. But I'm a casual enough fan that I'm not super invested in the character and don't really care how much the TV version of Gerald resembles the one in the game it's not really based on. I don't even have a strong opinion about Henry Cavill playing Geralt.

I do however have a strong opinion about things that are unintentionally hilarious and whoever put that thing on his head and then took a bunch of publicity photos should be ashamed of themselves. I mean, ashamed. 
Remember that time Cavill grew a mustache for Mission: Impossible, but was
contractually obligated not to shave it off when Justice League needed reshoots so they
just CG'd his upper lip? Well, this is no longer the most ridiculous Henry Cavil photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment