Monday, September 24, 2012

Taste the beefy rainbow!

Have you puked today? No? Well get ready. With corn crops severely damaged by drought, cattle ranchers are looking for alternative feeds. The answer? Candy! Apparently the starch and sugar provided by corn can be substituted with cheaper alternatives like ice cream sprinkles, "...cottonseed hulls, rice products, potato products [and] peanut pellet." Oh yeah and ethanol byproduct. Mmm... rich, creamy ethanol byproduct...
The move comes as welcome news for the millions of
Americans who aren't getting enough Skittles in their diet. 
Yeah, it shouldn't come out chocolate...
Gross right? I assume...I mean it sounds gross. I'm not like a nutritionist or anything, but I can't imagine it's good for the cows or us. I was a vegetarian for a couple of years and this kind of makes me want to go back. Why'd I stop in the first place? Well, like all vegetarians I enjoyed the feeling of moral superiority, but on the downside I was very, very hungry most of the time. In fairness to the vegetarian lifestyle, I wasn't really doing it right. Man can not live on tempeh alone. Anyway, the idea of cows being fed a steady diet of Twizzlers and ethanol seems both cruel and stomach churning and might be enough to push me back into the shaky, protein-starved embrace of vegetarianism.

1 comment: