Tuesday, September 6, 2011

There's not nearly enough Star Trek on television.

After all, we Trekkies are known for
our well-thought-out ideas.
So get this, some dude who is not me is pitching a new Star Trek series to Paramount. I didn't know that was a thing you could just do, but David Foster of 1947 Entertainment (the pitcher in question) sure did. It sounds pretty rad even though he didn't call me to ask me what I thought. I guess I should try not to take this too personally since he has no idea who I am, but still, you'd think he'd want to check in with the geek community (specifically me) and get some fan input.


According to the interview on Trekweb, Foster's series would be a continuation of the original continuity (so the next-next generation) as opposed to a part of the J.J. Abrams universe in which Kirk is kind of a douche and Vulcan 'esploded. Confused? That's because you have better things to do than obsess over the vagaries of fictional multiverses. All this means is that things that happen on TV Star Trek would have no bearing on Movie Star Trek.

To clarify, the movie universe is also the one where Spock and Uhura get it on. Oh yeah...

It's been like six years since Star Trek: Enterprise went off the air. That might not seem like a big deal to people with lives, but for nerds like me it was the first time in 18 years there wasn't at least one Star Trek series on TV. Where are we supposed to get our geek fix? Grimm? Alphas? Screw you.

As you can see my math checks out.

I'll be waiting by the phone.

This TV nerd-dearth is unacceptable. The line must be drawn here. Even more unacceptable is that unless someone like Foster gets a new Star Trek series on the air I may never fulfill my lifelong (and kind of sad) dream of playing a Vulcan. Hey, I've got an idea: David, if you're reading this, I'll throw my considerable weight behind your new project if you'll agree to cast me as the bad-ass Vulcan science officer/sassy bar tender, Commander Smonk. Deal?



p.s. Hey, today's post marks one full year of complaining about nerd stuff and ragging on homophobes! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment