Sunday, December 5, 2021

Empathy GOP

More ammo so you can go on a shooting spree? As a family? Well merry goddamn Christmas to you too...because this:
Nothing says peace on Earth and goodwill towards
men like a family brandishing military hardware.
Personally I think sending out holiday cards in
general is a sign of sociopathy. Scrapbooking too.
That's Kentucky Congressperson Thomas Massie in a tweet he sent out yesterday with a caption reading: "Merry Christmas! <Christmas tree emoji> ps. Santa, please bring ammo. <gift emoji>." Like, obviously this is one of those right-wing shit heel let's bait the libruls things and we should probably refuse to take it, but it's so tempting. So I guess what I want to know is what the actual fuck? I mean, I know he thinks this is a cute Christmas card for sociopaths, but rhetorically, what's the suggestion here? 

What's ammunition for if not to load into your guns so that you can go shoot people. Because those guns are definitely for shooting people. Admittedly, I don't know much about weapons, but those don't look like hunting equipment. So unless Massie and his family are hunting, I don't know, Predator? What else do they have in mind?
Although, if Representative Massie is hunting Predator,
I wish him and his family the best of luck.
Incidentally, that's pretty messed
up right? Like, it's not just me?
Incidentally, is ammunition a reasonable present to ask from Santa? Is this like, a Republican thing? Does Red-state Santa usually arm children? And even if he does, where would he lay his hands on ammunition for modern firearms? I guess my understanding is that the technological level of his elves is something like pre-industrial so the toys they make are usually wooden soldiers and dolls and lame things like that. Even the best Father Christmas could offer the kids in the Chronicles of Narnia was a sword and an archery set. 

And not for nothing but this weird, conservative obsession with guns is--at least they keep insisting it is--about self defense. Which, if we're accepting the premise that a magical man will be sneaking down their chimneys in the dead of night, wouldn't one of these gun-humping Second Amendment weirdos just shoot him to death? Like, they live for the chance to shoot an intruder.
"I'd like to see them try."
-Red State Santa
"Merry Coffee? Merry Coffee!? You say
Merry Christmas or I'll fucking shoot you!"
-Like, far too many Americans
Seriously though, this to them is Christmas? Look, I'm not super-keen on the holidays. I don't love the music, or the decorations, or the weird assertion that it's the one time and the only time a year that people are supposed to be decent to one another, but can we seriously not all agree that violence is bad? This is a crowd that loses their every-loving minds over a Starbucks cup or when someone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," but they joke about murder and mass shootings. How are we supposed to get along?

I mean Massie's dumb tweet comes just days after another school shooting. One in which the shooter was given the gun he used as a Christmas present. And his parents evidently didn't need to be reminded to provide the ammo, so now four kids are dead and you'd think, as a parent, Massie would have some empathy, but here we are. So I don't think I'm alone in asking what's wrong with these people?
Anyone else think it's cute when right-wingers blame this
shit on violent video games? No? Yeah, me neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment