Monday, August 13, 2018

Just give someone a rose already...

Ok, so I have some questions. First of all, are we for real. Like as a country? I'm really starting to think it's time to pack it in.
It was nice while it lasted guys, but that
electoral college nonsense really screwed us.
Also, neither she nor Trump won the
popular vote, so they have that in common.
Because Omarosa Manigault Newman, the former White House Director of Communications for the Office of Public Liaisons whom Trump brought over from his previous job as host of The Apprentice has been secretly recording conversations in the situation room. Let me be clear. I don't follow reality shows so I bear this woman no ill will. In fact, I think her reality show credentials make her just as qualified to be President as Donald Trump. I'm just questioning how she can just walk into the situation room with an iPhone set to record and what that says about us.

I mean as a country that would like to be taken seriously. Look, I'm not like an expert on these things, but I have seen a lot of The West Wing and I'm pretty sure the situation room is the secure command center from which Presidents are supposed to decide whom to bomb.
Nancy McNally wouldn't put up with this shit. 
Above: Chief of Staff John F. Kelly,
cackling maniacally after firing Omarosa.
The recording is of White House Chief of Staff John Kelly firing her, which again, doesn't really sound like the kind of thing you need a command center for, but here we are. In it, Manigault Newman, whom I guess we just call Omarosa, asks if the President knew that she was being fired to which Kelly said not to ask and that they were having a 'non-negotiable discussion.' That suggestion that the President doesn't know what's going on with his own staff was born out by another recording released by Manigault Newman in which Trump says he saw on the news that she'd been fired.

"Do I feel my ears burning?"
-The Queen
Sarah Huckabee Sanders was characteristically outraged but weirdly not by the fact that the President is learning about changes in his staff from Fox News, but that Omarosa has the audacity to record a conversation-something Donald Trump is famous for doing himself apparently. But sure, by all means let's pretend that this is an actual Presidency and not the farce that's going to make America re-think the entire idea of the executive branch. Incidentally, I'm fairly certain the U.K. would have us back if we asked...

"The very idea a staff member would sneak a recording device into the White House Situation Room shows a blatant disregard for our national security. And then to brag about it on national television further proves the lack of character and integrity of this disgruntled former White House employee."

-Sarah Huckabee Sanders
without a hint of irony
"When Omarosa records conversations it shows a lack of character. When the
President does it, it's awesome. Yes I know how I sound, and I don't give a shit."

-The White House Press Secretary
"Whaaat? No..."
-Omarosa, unconvincingly
Yes, the very idea! How very dare she not take this Administration seriously? Anyway, Omarosa claims that she has more tapes, even more damning than the ones she's released so far and is waiting for the President to make his next move which, spoiler alert, is a series of tweets questioning her sanity and making thinly veiled threats. So why not just cut to the chase and put them all out there? I mean, why not-oh shit, is she holding out because of her book deal?

Like, I'm not holding out hope that she's sitting on one that's going to make the people who still support him see the light, or the GOP start acting like grown ups, but this reality show bullshit of artificially building suspense by cutting to commercial is wearing a bit thin. 
Goddamnit Omarosa, just give someone a rose and let us get on
with our day. Sorry, is that the wrong show? Forget it, I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment