Saturday, August 4, 2018

Hoisted by our own Picard!

It's usually best to just ignore what I say.
Hey, remember how just a few hours ago I posted a blog about how bullshit it is that t.v. series from the 80's are being dredged up and rebooted and relaunched and re-whatever'ed just to cash-in on nostalgia for that era? I know it might sound a little-huh? You don't remember? Seriously? It was like the post right before this one and you didn't even...fine. Actually don't go back and read it, because I'm about to completely reverse my position on the subject. How come? Because I'm fickle, that's how come.

Make fun if you want, but this was
basically our Woodstock
.
Also because of the big Star Trek convention in Las Vegas where Sir Patrick Stewart just confirmed the shit out of those rumors that he might be returning to the role of Captain Picard. That sound you just heard was the simultaneous nerd-gasm of a billion trekkies. The last time Trek fandom freaked out like this was when the re-fit Enterprise-D from Q's anti-time future de-cloaked and phasered holes into a couple Klingon warships. Remember that-what? Why are you looking at me like that? Yes I'm single, what has that got to do with...oh...I see.

Anyway, scoff all you want, and scoff you will, but I'm excited for the continuing adventures of Jean-Luc Picard. Sir Patrick tweeted:
Wow, so that's what it looks like when someone who
isn't a garbage human uses twitter. How refreshing!
"I'm a role model."
_Captain Picard 
Along with the tweet, he included a statement about how TNG got many people through difficult times and that he's humbled to see:

"...how Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps pursuing science, exploration and leadership. I feel I'm ready to return to him for the same reason-to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times."

-Sir Patrick Steward founding the
Church of Picard, which-sign me up

"Fuck the Prime Directive, eh Mr. Worf?"
-John-Luck Schnicard
So is this good news or great news? We had seven awesome years of Jean-Luc followed by four movies of which 25% are decent. In fact, the last time we saw him was in Star Trek: Nemesis which had him off-roading on some pre-warp planet, completely violating his established character not to mention the Prime Directive. And while we don't know yet what this new series will be like, or how much hot Jean-Luc action we can expect, anything that gets dune-buggy Picard out of my head will be most welcome.

"For the last time bub, I'm not taking you
 to the Devron system. Stop asking."
Yeah, on that note, what could the new show be about? No idea. In typical early announcement fashion, details are scarce and the people involved are infuriatingly coy. Maybe it's a next, next generation, maybe Stewart plays old Jean-Luc in a framing narrative around the adventures of young Picard on the Stargazer. Or maybe we'll watch Mr. Worf drive him around the southwest while he slowly looses his mind to irumodic syndrome.

I don't know and I don't care, what I do know is that the more Star Trek shows they put on CBS's stupid streaming service, the less I feel like I'm paying them $9.99 a month for a streaming service that's mostly The Big Bang Theory and CSI.
Pictured: Sir Patrick Stewart with the cocksure attitude of
someone who knows something every single nerd in the room
would eject their own grandmother out an airlock to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment