Monday, January 29, 2018

Today in challenging Nikki Haley's worldview...

Pictured: the woman most
of us voted for.
So just to be clear, I don't care about award shows. I think it's great that the film and music industries set aside a few nights each year to pat themselves on the back and hand out little trophies and all, but I just don't feel the need to watch. But I kind of wish I'd watched this year's Grammys because of this skit in which a bunch of celebrities auditioned to read the audio version of Fire and Fury. Cher was in it, Snoop Dogg and get this: Hillary Clinton.

Obviously the best part was when Donald Trump took to twitter to...to...huh, he hasn't gone on twitter yet? Wow...he must be pissed. Give'm a day.
Maybe his staff wrestled him to the ground and took his phone?
'I mean, why should artists be
allowed to challenge my worldview?'
-Haley, evidently 
unfamiliar with art
U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley however wasted no time in embarrassing herself before the world tweeting indignantly:

"I have always loved the Grammys, but to have artists read the Fire and Fury book killed it. Don't ruin great music with trash. Some of us love music without the politics thrown in."

-Nikki Haley on how this
 ruined the Grammys for her.
Way to go, music industry...

Yeah, that seems about
right. Good call Elton.
Gauntlet thrown. I guess it's cool that Nikki Haley loves music all, but I feel like music probably doesn't love her. I mean, music is political. Rap, punk, rock maybe even country-I wouldn't know-are all full of politics. I think Nikki Haley's problem is that she doesn't like when music disagrees with her politics which is going to be always. Nobody's rocking out to songs about how awesome it is build a border wall or pull out of a climate agreement. Here, check out this article from the campaign. It's about all the artists who would like Trump to please stop using their music. Mike Mills from R.E.M. called him an 'orange clown,' Pavarotti's estate called Trump's worldview 'incompatible' with the late opera singer's and Elton John asked 'Why not ask Ted fucking Nugent?'

It's good to know that the worst of
the 1980's bro culture is alive
and well in Donald Trump Jr.
Of course, in characteristically dickish behavior, the President's son Donald Trump Jr. was more than willing to hop on twitter and start running his tweeter saying:

"Getting to read a #fakenews book except at the Grammys seems like a great consolation prize for losing the presidency."

-Donald Trump Jr.
son of President Trump
and noted dick

And even more preposterously this, I mean, this:
Not pictured: a sense of irony. Like, he means that.
"Say, I've got one."
You know it was hard to hear over the crowd's roaring approval while Clinton read from the book, but-and correct me if I'm wrong-no one, anywhere in the world saw that skit and realized 'how awesome it is to have @realDonaldTrump in office" Like no one. If anything, every time I see Clinton in the news I find myself hoping for the briefest of moments that these last fourteen months have been some kind of terrible nightmare in which shitty electoral math handed an objectively unqualified reality show goon the most import job in America, but then I remember that this waking horror show is in fact the reality into which we've been thrust. Oh, and again, I don't put much stock in industry awards but how many Grammy's does Donald Trump have? Is it zero? I'm pretty sure it's zero. Not that it matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment