Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Well, it's not like he's entirely wrong...

Ok, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, you have to admit, "beneath the dignity of the office" doesn't quite have the same weight as it used to. 
Pictured: Trump humping the flag.
Not pictured: a shred of dignity.
I mean, stupid is as stupid shouts
from the back of the pressroom.
That said, I think we can all agree that Joe Biden shouldn't have called Peter Doocy of Fox News a "stupid son of a bitch." But he did, and a hot mic caught it. Obviously, it's a wildly inappropriate thing to say. The "b" word is loaded, misogynistic, and beneath the dignity of the office. Stupid sure. Doocy asks dumb-ass questions all the time. In fact, he was shouting a dumb-ass question about whether or not inflation was a bad thing, when Biden muttered his comment. But I always figured that it's because Doocy's a parrot for right-wing bullshit, not because he's unintelligent. He might be, I don't know.

In Bush's defense (those are some words
I never thought I would type), he did say "Major
League" asshole, which, as assholes go...
If this all sounds familiar, you might remember that time George W. Bush was running for President and referred to Adam Clymer of the New York Times as a "Major League asshole." The difference here is that Bush immediately expressed regret--wait for it--for getting caught.

"I regret that a private comment I made to the vice-presidential candidate made it into the public airwaves."

-Bush calling the kettle an asshole

Biden, on the other hand did call Doocy to apologize. Like, immediately. Sure, I have no doubt that he'd not have done so if the mic hadn't picked it up, but I mean, have any of us called to apologize for things nobody heard us say? My point is, while I think Joe Biden has been a pretty okay President so far (not the best, far from the worst), he's shown himself to be a way better human being that anyone the GOP has going for them right now. Which, admittedly is an increadibly low bar. Like, on the ground.
I'll take a politician who makes the occasional honest (and not inaccurate)
hot mic gaffe over the racist, transphobic, anti-science, anti-democracy,
 rabid foam lunatic insurrectionists on the right any day of the week

No comments:

Post a Comment