Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Today in "hey, isn't that treason?":

Yup, he's blowing the whistle again.
Well I have to go again shower now. Like, because of this video I just watched, not like as part of my usual routine. Which video? You're going to be sorry I pretend you asked, because it's a campaign video for Trump. Normally when I see these things pop up, I report them as offensive, which they are, but the name of this one gave me pause. And by pause I mean a cold chill. When I went back to find it for this post, it was entitled "Say what you will about America." But when I first saw it it was called "We will never surrender America." Which, holy shit...

"What? I just told an armed militia to stand by
in case I need to overturn the election results."
-The President of the 
United States, somehow
This isn't like a Berenstain Bears Mandala effect thing either, because that phrase appears in the video itself. I didn't make it up. And there's been this weird question out in the zeitgeist about what to do if Trump loses and refused to you know, not be President anymore. And he's made some unsettling comments about negotiating for a third term-which isn't a thing, but between statements like that and his dog-whistle to the Proud Boys during the debate where he-in front of everybody-called for an armed insurrection to keep him in power, I'm a little concerned.

Hey look, it's Jackie Robinson. Guess
we were wrong about Trump this whole time.
-Gullible people
Ok, A lot concerned. Here, let's look at some of the things said in the ad. You can click on this if you want to see it for yourself, but I've already fallen on that particular sword so you don't have to. But watch it if you want, and then go wash. I'll wait. Back? Great, now if you didn't subject yourself to that, imagine this narration spoken over a slide show of great American triumphs with a heavy emphasis on prominent Black Americans. Because I guess that totally proves that Tump isn't a white supremacist. 

"Shut up and choke it down. This
is how we do turkey in America!"
"Say what you will about America, but don't bet against us. We fight, we move forward, we pay any price. Impossible? That word is motivation. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing." Ok, first things first. Ok, don't bet against us. Cool. We fight we move forward-yeah yeah, motivation. Fine, but then: "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing." No it's not. That's nonsense. Overdoing is a bad thing. Overcooked, overtired, oversimplify. I'm not trying to help out the wanna be president for life here, but maybe his ad people should, you know, be better at it?

We don't just get COVID-19,
we over-get COVID-19.
It goes on: "We think big and we work big. We leave no doubt. Because we're Americans. Daring. Courageous. Loyal. Our reach always exceeds our grasp, but we get the job done." Our reach always exceeds our grasp? Again, that's a bad thing. It literally means failure, but fine, I guess maybe it's poetic license? But who cares, because we get the job done. Which wait...which job would that be? Probably not getting the pandemic under control. Because that's still, you know, raging. Also, Trump himself has it. Also he's giving it to other people. 

"What can I say? We just hate America."
-Nancy Pelosi, according to Republicans 
Next is some more generic uplifting phrases about how great America is, but then we get to the folks. Yeah, the folks. "Some folks want to shut us down. They don't believe in America. They want to destroy our traditions. Terrorize our communities. But we'll never surrender America." I uh...I guess that's us. You know, the majority of Americans who didn't vote for Trump, won't vote for Trump and who support Black Lives Matter and want health care. Because we just hate America so much! But don't worry, real Americans won't surrender. 

Real Americans like those psychopaths in gigantic pick-up trucks with Trump 2020 flags hanging off of them, who tried to run over protesters. Or the gun-toting white supremacists who took over a couple state houses. Or maybe the cops who high-fived some kid on his way to murder protesters. 

What is it with Trumpies and giant trucks? I mean, they can't all be contractors,
right? Wait, you don't suppose they base their masculine identity on how big
their trucks are do you? Shit, now I almost kind of feel bad for them. Almost.

Huh, evidently no lives matter.
Hey, way to turn the tables...
And then the ad finishes off by suggesting that the America-haters are trying to keep them-again, the real Americans-from returning to their normal lives, seeing their loved ones and going to church. Which, cool, this coming from Typhoid MAGA who, as I write this, is busy whipping off his mask and spreading COVID-19 to anyone and everyone around him while-through a steroid-induced haze-calling the two-hundred thousand Americans who died from the pandemic, weak for not fighting it off like he did.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is could we all please stop wondering about what we should do if Trump loses and doesn't concede? Like, not stepping down isn't an option. I'm not a constitutional scholar or anything, but, I think it might actually be treason.

"Should the president fail to win enough electoral votes, he shall step down
in a peaceful transition of power. Unless of course he doesn't feel like it."
-James Madison, author of the Constitution 
(source: Donald Trump's grossly
inaccurate understanding of his office)

No comments:

Post a Comment