Thursday, October 15, 2020

Somewhere between Marx and Charizard

Two hundred twenty thousand, five hundred and seventy four dollars. Of money. That's how much Logic paid for a Pokémon card. Logic the rapper that is. Not reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity. 

Pictured: Logic, seen here with a Pokémon
card worth more than most people's homes.

Nothing against Charizard either. 
Like, c'mon, he's adorable.
Anyway, to be clear, I don't have anything against Logic-again, the recording artist-I really don't. In fact, I'm not super-clear on who he is beyond being that guy who showed up on Rick and Morty one time. As I've previously indicated, I'm out of touch. Rather, my issue is with our civilization. Because any economic system that just lets someone blow nearly a quarter of a million dollars on a goddamn Charizard card is fundamentally flawed. Admittedly it is an extremely rare Charizard card, but not so rare as to justify the gross wealth inequity that plagues us.

Speaking of, Logic posted on Instagram about how when he was a kid he tried trading food stamps for Pokémon cards and how great it is that now, as an adult, he can enjoy this hobby. And that's super, but seriously two hundred and twenty grand? I mean, I don't want to tell him what to do with his vast fortune but uh, maybe buy some kids lunch? 

Huh...I guess I actually do want to tell him what to do with his vast fortune.

Are we seriously saying that there's
no middle ground between Karl Marx
and $220 million Charizard cards?
Now before you get all capitalism is the best system we have on me-no, not you you, obviously. I mean, if you're reading my blog we're probably more or less on the same page when it comes to this sort of thing. But is it? The best system? Look, there are absolutely way worse examples of extravagance than Logic's dumb Pokémon collecting, it's just that a lot of people sleep on the sidewalk outside where I work and it seems like maybe we're not doing it right, as a society, when the two ends of the spectrum are that far apart. 

I'm not saying that we should go and storm Jeff Bezos' house and redistribute the wealth or anything. All I'm suggesting is that the reason money exists, like, the reason the government prints it, is so that we don't have to trade goats and children for goods and services. It's not there so a few people can live in abject and appalling luxury while the rest of have to set up GoFundMe's every time we need surgery.

Although while we're on the subject, could we storm
Jeff Bezos' house and redistribute the wealth? 



No comments:

Post a Comment