Monday, May 30, 2016

James Weeks: Libertarian Hero!

What guys? This is what you get for
hosting the Libertarian Convention.
So this happened. No, it's ok, don't worry about clicking, I'll just explain. At the Libertarian Party Convention in Orlando, Florida-because of course Orlando, Florida, James Weeks, who was running for party Chair used his time at the podium to strip. No, really. Like down to a tiny thong thing. It was...well it was weird. I said before that you shouldn't bother clicking on the link to the footage from C-Span-yes, this was on C-Span, but maybe you should. You know, just the get the full effect of the almost hypnotic weirdness.
"After all the fun we've had today, I figured this uh...we could use a little bit of fun."
-James Weeks, shortly before
the uh...the incident...
"Mr. Weeks we have one rule. One. And that
rule is pants
. Was that really so much to ask?"
-C-Span


If you watched the video you might have noticed a couple of things. Firstly, how incredibly weird and awkward it is to watch someone do a strip tease without music. Secondly there was all the boo-ing. Now I get that Weeks maybe doesn't have the best rhythm for a stripper, and not everybody is into lumberjack beards, but really Libertarians? Boos and jeers? Shouldn't they be applauding him for making due without music? Like, I can't think of a better example of the Libertarian principle of self-reliance. And what about his total disregard for, what I assume is C-Span's policy of no stripping during political conventions? 

Like I said, I don't really get their deal,
but they've got Ted Nugent, so...
In many ways James Weeks is a Libertarian hero. I mean, I think he is, I don't really understand what they're about. Freedom? Don't-give-a-fuck'edness? Libertarians, I gather, don't like being told what to do, and Weeks this weekend made himself the clapping, dancing embodiment of that philosophy and for that we salute him. But then they also love guns and don't believe in public roads, so I'm really glad they'll never win high office. The point is James Weeks gets it and if the squares at the convention can't handle it, they should go back to the GOP where they belong.

Of course in other ways, James Weeks is also just another symbol of the batshit crazy on all sides that has been the hallmark of the 2016 election cycle. I mean, what is going on? Is it finally time to pack in in and pick a king or a shadowy council of mysterious robed figures?
Vote Shadowy Council 2016:
"For the greater good..."

No comments:

Post a Comment