Sunday, April 7, 2024

Today in that time the algorithm got it right:

So just to be clear, I detest ads. Like, the YouTube countdown to when you can finally skip the ad is agony. I need them to just assume that there is no circumstance under which I am a willing viewer of advertisements. 
Above: YouTubes business model.
Pictured: the opposite of me.
And it's also the case that I have previously bemoaned the advertising algorithms that have so often misjudged my interests. The HO-scale Trump model train set, the socks printed with pictures of pets I don't have on them. Holiday themed dioramas. The list goes on. That said, I was scrolling through the Instant Gram today when I came across an ad for a furniture site, which is great, because I have actually been looking for furniture. I moved recently and need things to, you know, put things on and sit on.

Technology works! But that's when it got borderline creepy. I mean, look at this:
Notice anything...targeted?

The fact that I get riled up about people
not taking care of thirty year-old games
is why this ad is aimed directly at me.
Do you see it? Yeah. That thing? I mean sure, it's whatever. It holds your TV and your sound bar and and your classic video game console. Wai-wah? Specifically a Super Nintendo and games. Used games, as evidenced by the fact that someone has scribbled on the copy of Donkey Kong Country with a permanent marker. Anyway, this is 100% the kind of retro gaming nonsense designed to appeal to nerds of a certain age. So, exactly me. I mean, don't get me wrong, it absolutely didn't work. I'm still not going to buy the Opera Media Console
Is eight hundred dollars a lot for a sealed
Street Fighter II Turbo? Sure, but it's also a 
lot for a TV stand and I make poor decisions.
This is, after all, still an ad and at $829 it's well outside of my price range even if shipping is free. Oh, incidentally, shipping is never free anyone who said otherwise is a liar. And besides, I'd rather have eight hundred dollars worth of old Super Nintendo games. Or I could use the money to pay rent and eat, but my point is that I want to give them credit for trying. Whoever staged the photo was going for a vibe. And that vibe is adult child who still plays the same video games they were into as a pre-teen. Again, exactly me.  

My hat, should I ever wear one--I don't, my head is oddly shaped and doesn't take hats well--is off to you...uh, Burrow.com, or whatever you're called, nice try. Nice try indeed.
Wait, are those VHS tapes? What is going on with these people?

No comments:

Post a Comment