Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Survey Says:

Look, I'm not questioning the validity of this poll just because I don't like the results--ok, fine I am, but hear me out.
They've barely had enough time to get the cheeseburger and spray-tan
stains out of the carpets much less reverse four years of batshit
mismanagement, and we're already calling Biden's Presidency a failure?
People who made Jackass
Forever #1 at the box office.
A poll conducted by the Harvard Center for American Political Studies says that 62% of Americans believed that if Donald Trump were still president, then Vladimir Putin would not have invaded Ukraine. And I'm calling bullshit. Not because I think Joe Biden is the best president ever, although compared to Trump an actual cactus would come off looking pretty competent, but because this wasn't a poll of geopolitical experts. There aren't any prerequisites for participating. They aren't even asked to find Ukraine on a map. This was a poll of regular people. People like you, me, and your racist uncle on Facebook. Literally anyone can take a survey, whether we know what we're talking about or not. I'm not saying that we don't have opinions or that those opinions don't have worth, I'm just suggesting that there's a difference between opinions and informed opinions. 

It's like asking me who's going to win the Super Bowl this year. And yes, I realize it's already happened, but I don't follow sports. I don't even know who played in it. Asking me who won is about as useful as asking random respondents about whether Putin would have invaded during a Trump administration. 
"Was it this guy? Did he win the...the super-ball?"
-Me
Holy shit, nobody says "woke" anymore.
God, they're like a dog with a bone...
So my question is what are they basing their response on other than how much they like or don't like Biden, Trump, or Putin? I personally feel that were Trump still president, Putin would have absolutely still invaded Ukraine and Trump probably would have gone on conservative radio shows to tell us what a smart move it was. And again, I'm no expert. I'm really not, but I think the fact that Trump actually did go on to conservative radio shows to tell us what a smart move it was bears this out. 

"Well, I think we can all agree that it's
not the fault of multi-billionaires..."
-some guy
There were, of course, other questions on the survey. Questions randos like you or me are somewhat more qualified to answer. Things like is Joe Biden doing a good job? Is the country going in the right direction? Are you optimistic about the future? And yeah, it looks pretty grim for Biden, but these are still opinion questions and that's great, but it's just what people think. Like, gas costs five dollars per gallon, housing costs are out of control, and the pandemic is still a thing, but is it really all Joe Biden's fault, or are people just miserable?

I don't think it is, but I also admit that I don't know. And I guess my point is neither do you or 99% of the people responding to these things. So why do we--ok, I, why do I--put such stock in the subjective opinions of people whose only qualifications are owning a phone and having the twenty minutes of free time to answer a survey?
Pictured: Family Feud, possibly the only use of
polling data that doesn't do more harm than good.

No comments:

Post a Comment