Monday, August 8, 2011

A Feast for Vultures

Like a winged scavenger circling a kill in the desert I've been ducking into the increasingly spartan remains of the nearby mall Borders in hopes of snagging the latest G.R.R. Martin book at a desperation-based discount.

I could smell what I thought for sure to be the scent of death hanging over the place, but then I realized that the
 bookstore was Abercrombie and Fitch-adjacent. Holy shit guys, enough with the cologne.

"Each one I sell brings me closer to
obsolescence. Also, it plays Angry Birds."

-Cassie, Barnes and Noble Employee
It was a delicate balancing act, waiting for the price to go lower while being careful not to wait too long lest until they run out. Today I made my move snatching the penultimate (what? I like the word) copy from the store's carcass and leaving the rest to the jackals. Am I glad I did it? Sure. Do I feel good about it? Nah. In addition to the thousands who are loosing their jobs, I just really hate to see a bookstore go under the crushing and anti-social weight of Amazon and ebooks. Besides, now where am I supposed to go to look like I read more than I really do? The library? Pfft. Maybe if I wanted some microfiche...


On the other hand with the Sci-Fi/Fantasy or 'nerd' section being slowly assimilated by the 'Teen Paranormal Romance' non-genre (or 'nonre,' if you will), I can't help but wonder if it isn't for the best.

Thus ends 5000 years of the written word.
By the by, Beowulf is a saga. These are Harlequin Romance novels for tweens.

No comments:

Post a Comment