Sunday, January 21, 2024

Behold Me: A Finisher of Things!

Above: the physical manifestation of
the lies we tell ourselves and others.
I'm not like a new year's resolution person, but I've decided to try and be the kind of person who finishes things. I don't always do that, and I'm wondering if that's what's holding me back, you know? No? Oh, yeah, sorry, that was out of context. Take books for example. I read a reasonable amount, but way more if you count the books I just start. First there's the tier of books of which I make it half way through, and then the even rarer three quarters finished, and then up at the top of the pyramid, the ten percent of books I actually finish. All of them sitting on my shelf, suggesting that I'm far better read than I am.

Just shelves and shelves of partialy completed books, and I ask myself why? Why do I get so far only to lose interest or forget about them?
I'm not pro-manifest desinty, but I'll never understand why anyone
got as far as Missouri and said: yes, that's far enough. Let's stay here.
Comedic humiliation back then was slime-
based rather than psychological as it is today.
I don't know if it's my attention span or--wait, no--it's definitely my attention span. A childhood of half-hour cartoons interrupted by frequent commercial breaks that shifted the focus from the Ninja Turtles or Transformers or whatever to Cap'n Crunch or Gak. Gak for the uninitiated, is a blob of neon-colored slime sold by Nickelodeon to cash in on the "kids love brightly colored gross stuff" craze of the eighties and nineties. We loved slime, evidently. 

Pictured: Me, marveling at how Persona 5
clocks in at over one-hundred hours.
Interestingly if you look up "gak," you'll find that it's used as slang for cocaine which, given the era, also seems appropriate. All this to say, that I think I've illustrated my point vis รก vis my attention span, so back to how I so infrequently finish things. I have a similar problem with video games, but I think that may be more the fault of how dang long they are now. Not to get all "back in my day," but back in my day, games took anywhere from a couple hours to maybe thirty? Thirty five? Now they're like, eighty to a hundred.

But whatever. This last week I finished a book and a video game on the same say and it felt great. It created the illusion that I'd done something with my life. I found that feeling invigorating, and I want more. More I say! So that's my resolution which, while distinct from a New Year's resolution, just happens to correspond roughly to the start of the new year. Do with that what you will.
Although, realistically, I'll probably never finish Persona 5. 
I mean, one-hundred hours. One hundred goddamn hours. Of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment