Monday, September 11, 2023

Today I won at internet.

Marie Curie discovered radium, Miescher discovered DNA, and I have discovered an easter egg in the third episode of the new season of Only Murders in the Building. What? Don't look at me like that, all the good discoveries are taken.
I mean, Christopher Columbus, a man famous for discovering
something, did not discover anything, and yet he still gets a holiday. 
Settle down, I'm getting there.
Obviously someone put what I'm about to describe there for exactly the kind of nerd I am, so when I say "discovered" I should probably just say spotted or noticed, but as far as I can tell from an internet search, I think I may be the first person to notice this. Like, in the world. What is it? You might reasonably ask, sick of my extended preamble. I'll tell you, but first let me assure you that I'm not going to spoil anything. I'm only a couple of episodes in myself, and don't want to ruin anything for those who care.

Anyway, in episode three at the fifteen minute, thirty second mark, when Selena Gomez's character is searching Paul Rudd's apartment with that Tobert guy, one can spot a Super Nintendo controller on the shelf.
I added the arrow. That would have been a weird choice for the show.

It was the early 90's, our minds
were easily blown back then.
"Ok, but that's set dressing, not an easter egg" you might point out. Well, yes, that's true, but allow me to nerdspalin. Paul Rudd, back in 1991--looking not terribly different from how he appears today--did a commercial for the then new Super Nintendo console. He played a teenager whose mind was blown by Mode Seven Graphics or whatever nonsense the Nintendo marketing department came up with. So the controller is clearly a reference to that ad. Ipso facto. Easter Egg spotted. First. Huh? Huh? What I tell you--wait, where are you going? 

Look, I'm probably never going to be the first to spot a reference in a streaming show again. This is big for me. I've peaked. Just let me have this one.
I presume there's some kind of medal or cash prize? Maybe an award ceremony?

No comments:

Post a Comment