Saturday, March 27, 2021

He knows TV's are in color now, right?

Yeah, but why black and white? The Justice League, I mean. I watched the four-hour Zack Snyder's Justice League, and it was better than the original release, but I don't know why he wants us to watch it in black and white
Pictured: Color television, seen here being a thing since the 1960's.
He's probably one of those monsters
who takes video in portrait orientation.
He who? Zack Snyder, that's he who. Apparently his preferred version of the movie is in that weird 4:3 aspect ratio, which is the format of both the Snyder cut and the even newer Zack Snyder's Justice League: Justice is Gray. No really, that's what it's called. But no one seems to know why. The aspect ratio is about Snyder's insistence that the film is best viewed on an IMAX screen, as super heroes are larger than life and a wider frame takes away from the sense of tallness. Which, I mean most of us don't have IMAX's at home so...

It's not Serpico is all I'm saying.
Ok, he has a vision. That's cool. And if I sound down on the movie, I'm not. Like I said, it was an improvement over the original cut, I'm just not a big fan of superhero movies that take themselves so seriously. For whatever reason, Snyder's pervious D.C. movies (Man of Steel and Batman V. Superman) are tonally dark in addition to looking like they were filmed through a dirty, sepia-toned window. I find it off-putting for something that's essentially an adaptation of The Super Friends.

"Mrrrwm rrwmm. Brwwww!"
-Bane
Speaking of directors who are apparently forgetting they they're making a movie about Underoos characters, this reminds me a little of how Christopher Nolan basically called everyone whiners for complaining about how the music and sound effects drown out the dialogue in his movies. He says it's because his sound design is too radical and that we just don't get him as an artist, but I'm not sure it isn't because his mixing kind of sucks. 

Anyway, I just find the existence of the black and white version baffling. Baffling and suspect. The comics upon which they're based were never black and white, so it's not about trying to stay true to the source material, and the movie is set in the twenty-first century, so it's not like it's a period piece. I kind of think he's doing it because he thinks it makes his dumb movie about explosions and lycra suits feel more artsy. 
On the other hand, would we even notice the removal of color from a Zack Snyder movie?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment