Sunday, November 11, 2018

Tap the breaks...you know, the space brakes?

So look, I'm a big huge trekkie and all, and I oft bemoaned how we went like twelve years without some kind of Star Trek show, but maybe it's time to tap the breaks?
I said tap the breaks...
"It's Star Trek meets Riverdale and-huh?
Fired? I...No, that's probably he right call."
-Someone at CBS
Yeah, I know, but hear me out, because CBS is in talks about another Star Trek series. No, not the Discovery, or Short Treks, or the Picard show, and no, not the animated series-didn't we just do this? And no, this isn't even the still-in-the-works CW-ish Starfleet Academy starring a hot young cast going to space college where they'll learn about warp drive, temporal anomalies and...each other. Yes, this is a whole other spin-off centered around Michelle Yeoh's character. Before I go on, you should probably know that I'm about to spoil season one of Discovery, and it's kind of unavoidable given the premise of the Yeoh show. So if you want to bail out now because of that or maybe because I'm talking about Star Trek again, I'll understand. Still with me? Super.

Pictured: The Philippa Georgiou from
the alternate, tackier universe.
So if you watched Discovery you know that Michelle Yeoh's character, Captain Philippa Georgiou was killed off in like, episode two. It was a bummer, because she was great. But in further shit that only happens on Star Trek, Michelle Yeoh came back later in the season to play her evil duplicate from the mirror universe who ends up trapped in the prime universe by Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green), where she's apparently recruited by Section 31 in some kind of Nick Fury at the end of every Marvel movie ever thing.

What's Section 31? I'm glad I pretended you asked. They're sort of the secret, unsanctioned covert ops for the Federation and probably the focus of this new spin-off. With prime universe Georgiou dead (and eaten by Klingons because I guess they eat people now) Secret Agent: Evil Georgiou seems like the most likely way to go forward.
"Starfleet Captain can sometimes come out a little dry and
and self-righteous, but I find that the secret is the marinade."
Oh don't look at me like
that, you know it's true.
Anyway, back to the break tapping. With so many goddamn Star Trek spin-offs presumably running at the same time, I'm getting a little nervous. Up until now, there's never been more than two Star Trek TV shows and one series of movies running at the same time. Sure, DC and Marvel have like fifty TV shows each based on their respective narrative universes but in addition to things like Supergirl and Jessica Jones, there're things like the show about Superman's Grandfather and the Alfred the Butler show. Everyone loves Alfred, sure, but did anyone want him to have his own show?

Look, I'm digging Discovery and would really hate to see it take a back seat and I am absolutely into a Star Trek espionage show starring Michelle Yeoh and obviously more Picard is in order, I just wonder at what point quality might begin to suffer, or and I never thought this would be a concern for me: will we burn out on too much Trek?
Never? Ok, clearly I'm asking the wrong
audience. But I think my point stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment