Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy 4-Tweaster!

Thanks to an unusual convergence of movable feasts and people who like to get high picking an arbitrary date, today is both Easter and 4/20, so uh, Happy 4-Tweaster everybody! Easter, of course, falls on the first Sunday after the full moon after the equinox (got all that?) and celebrates Jesus rising from the dead. For Christians, it's like a super big deal as the resurrection forms the foundation of their theology.
Death and resurrection also form the foundation of
what Marvel's writers do when they run out of ideas.
"Well, you appear to have a pulse.
I'll get the paperwork started."
I'm not really sure what's special about 4/20 in particular as the pot fans I know never seem to need an excuse, but for whatever reason it's the day and time stoners have chosen to celebrate their love of getting high by you know, getting high. And celebrate they should. Pot's been legalized in two states, decriminalized in a bunch of others, and 'cause I want to get high' qualifies as a legitimate reason to get a medicinal marijuana card. And if that's your thing, that's great. I mean, great for you. If you're not into weed, stoners can be a little...sorry, how do I put this gently? Exhausting? I'm not judging, but holy shit do you guys know what you sound like when you're high?

Anyway, I'm neither religious nor into weed, but I think it's kind of cool that these two celebrations line up this year. Like, regardless of whether or not you believe Jesus had supernatural powers, he was a long-haired, bearded dude who told people to chill out, give all their money away and love each other. Sound familiar? Like, does anyone really think he'd have a problem with people getting stoned now and then?

Ok, some people might think he'd have a problem with it...
Pictured: What rich, conservative evangelicals
think Judgement Day is going to look like.




Also, Happy St. Spockington's Day!

What am I doing to mark the occasion? I'm glad I'm pretending you asked. I'll be watching Star Trek II and III back-to-back. How come? Well, as the founder and only member of the Church of Vulcantology, I'll be reflecting on the life of Spock, who died getting the warp core back online and then was resurrected in the third movie when Leonard Nimoy realized that nobody cared about his poetry.
...um...no. Sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick but
you're always going to be Spock. Embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment