Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sofabound

Nice try guys, I'm still not buying a Wii U. Yeah, if you click on the link you'll see that Nintendo has released Earthbound on the Wii U Virtual Console and while that's-huh? What's that? You have no idea what I'm talking about? Well, look at you Mister (or Miss) "I have a social life and enjoy human interaction." I guess I have some explaining to do.
I'm confused, these people seem to be having a good time, but
I don't see any game controllers...maybe they have Kinect...
"Thanks, no, we're good."
-Nintendo to fans
Earthbound was a much-beloved role-playing game that came out for the Super Nintendo back in 1995. It was kind of a big damn deal then and even now used, unboxed copies of the game sell for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Despite the fact that everyone loved Earthbound, the sequels never made it to the U.S. and the game never saw a re-release. Nintendo even refused (at least until today) to offer it as a digital download on VC. How come? Well, I can only assume Nintendo hates both its fans and their money.

"No, really it-it came out last year. There's
a Mario game for it and everything..."

-Shiguru Miyamoto
So it's out now, why am I complaining? I mean, practically everyone in the country has a Wii collecting dust under their televisions, what's the problem? Well, for technobabble reasons worthy of Star Trek Voyager, the Wii's Virtual Console is not the same thing as the Wii U's Virtual Console and Earthbound is a Wii U VC exclusive, meaning that in order to download it you have a Wii U-a platform that even Nintendo admits a lot of people don't even realize is a thing.

Let me level with you Nintendo, $350 is a lot to pay for a glorified nostalgia machine, but, I'll tell you what, if you put Earthbound out on regular Wii Virtual Console I promise to tell everyone I know that the Wii U is a game system and not some kind of online school. Deal?
Hey everyone, the Wii U is a game system and unlike most Nintendo consoles
the software library isn't mostly Petz and games based on Hub cartoons, so like, go buy one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment