Friday, January 20, 2017

Brace yourself...

So I'm going to vent a little here. On the internet? I know, right? But it's how I think we all (or at least most) feel. Anyway today is President Obama's last day in office and at noon he's going to hand the keys over to the technical winner of the most electoral college votes instead of, you know, the woman most of us voted for. And I know Obama said in his last press conference the other day that it's going to be ok and I'd like to believe that, I really would but holy shit. I mean, holy shit.
"Wait, don't...uh...hang on!"
-Everyone in the room at the
President's final press conference
Remember when these were a funny,
funny prank someone was playing?
Yeah, I don't either...
Of course he's saying it's going to be ok, he's a classy President and ultimately I think he'll be proven right. Probably years from now when we're pulling down the statues Donald Trump will have raised in his own honor. In the meantime however, it's tough to see this as anything other than the victory of an angry, misled, minority of white conservative voters who, thanks to a combination of Russian Facebook propaganda and a general sense of feeling underappreciated came out in force for a dangerously unqualified and ill tempered game show host who can't go more than a few hours with out embarrassing himself on Twitter. You know, if he felt shame...

I'd like to be understanding and see how this is, in many ways, the fault of the left for being too arrogant and smug, but then I remember that we have every right. I mean, everything from the campaign to the election to the cabinet picks to the promises to get rid of the ACA and build his stupid wall, has been a shitshow of...
...blatant racism,

unapologetic and wilful ignorance,
unmitigated suck-uppery,
and aggressively poor decision making...
  ...on the part of a party which still has the...is temerity the right word? Temerity to call itself the party of Lincoln. So I guess what I'm saying is, let's be civil and all, but let's not pretend that the election was just a polite disagreement between two equally valid viewpoints. We, as in America got screwed. Roundly and severely screwed.
Shit, they're not even the party of Hoover...

No comments:

Post a Comment