Friday, December 7, 2018

Let's judge a movie by its title!

I'm not saying you're dumb if you liked
it, and we can still be friends, I'm just
saying that I'll probably be judging you.
In the grand internet tradition of having strong opinions about things that don't really matter and that have no real bearing on one's life at all, I think Avengers: Endgame is a dumb title. Dumb and generic. They might as well have called it Avengers: The Sequel. To be clear, my opinion is fairly colored by my opinion of Avengers: Infinity War, to which Endgame is the sequel. I found AIW to be tedious AF. It was a bloated, confusing CG-heavy mess of a-huh? AF? It means 'as fuck.' It's something the kids are saying. I try to stay on top of these things.

Anyway, I just want to be clear that my fan-ish complaining is about how I think the title is dumb in and of itself and while I really didn't like the last movie, my beef is with part II's title. The trailer itself is whatever. If you recall, the last movie's cliffhanger saw the scrotum-chinned Thanos use the magic rainbow glove to finger-snap half the universe's life forms out of existence for Malthusian reasons or something. It's hard to say.
Maybe next Thanos could wish for some higher stakes for the new
movie. Because for real, where do you go after 'murders half of everybody'?
Incidentally, yes, pre-modern
Avengers is an actual thing.
This movie picks up with the remaining cast looking sad and dejected about their predicament and trying to find a way out of it. Which they totally will. Is it a spoiler if we're just predicting a predictable movie? I mean, Disney isn't going to kill off half a dozen successful and marketable characters and the next thirteen Marvel movies aren't going to be about the world moving on after half the global population got raptured. I'm not saying that that wouldn't be interesting, just that it's not happening. I think I read somewhere that the Renaissance in Europe and the rise of the middle class were ushered in in part by the plague causing a labor crisis and making it basically their Thanos. So they could go that way, it's just that no one wants to see Avengers: Class Mobility in Pre-Modern Europe, so Endgame it is.

But these movies aren't really about being interesting, they're about hitting box office projections. That's not necessarily a criticism, I mean, it's a business, I know. I get that if you're spending $400 million on a movie, you kind of have to play it safe and Endgame as the title for the last movie in the story arc is definitely playing it safe. The real bummer here is that despite all this, I'm probably going to sit through this one too.
Black Panther draws his power from all the previous Black Panthers
to carry the mantle before him. He gets his invulnerability however
from the fact that his movie made $1.2 billion for Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment