Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Did they just magic wish glove Daredevil?

I've not seen very much of Daredevil on Netflix, but everyone seems pretty keen on it. What I have seen was pretty great, and the reviews are positive and so I think we're all understandably confused about why Netflix just cancelled it just a month after cancelling the also popular Luke Cage.
Yeah, they also cancelled Iron Fist, but no-one really liked
that one. What? Don't look at me like that, it's true.
'We have enough money,
thank you very much."

-Netflix to fans
According to this, Mathew Ball from Amazon's streaming service-who has nothing to do with Netflix, I guess he's just offering streaming service insight-Marvel was fighting with Netflix over how many episodes to produce. Netflix wanted fewer, Marvel wanted more so the compromise was to cancel the shit out of a bunch of popular, well received comic book adaptations. Weird right? I'm not like a business person and so take my read on this with a grain of salt, but don't they want to, you know, make money?

Sure it's a business, but maybe it's also about
artistic integrity and-why are you laughing?
You'd think Netflix and Marvel could get over their respective deals and work something out but here we are. I suppose it probably makes business people sense, but it just seems counter intuitive that they'd cancel something successful. On the other hand, after everyone declared Star Wars fatigue after Solo, I wonder if this isn't Disney trying to avoid making everyone sick of comic book adaptations-which, too little too late, but at least that'd make this a more understandable, maybe even artistically motivated decision.

Like, there are too many comic book adaptations right now. Disney, having assimilated Marvel on its quest to own everything, might be trying to make sure the market for superheroes doesn't collapse under its own weight. I mean when it comes to TV, viewers are a finite resource and with three hundred comic book shows floating around right now it's probably not the worst thing in the world that they just magic rainbow wish gloved half their Netflix series.
Now before you point out the obvious parallel to what I'm suggesting here, let me remind 
you that A: unlike Daredevil and Luke Cage, everyone Thanos finger-snapped into oblivion 
is 100% coming back in part II, B: Thanos should have just wished for more resources, 
and C: Infinity War was dumb. It was a dumb, boring movie. There, I said it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment