Monday, June 1, 2015

Rick Santorum just picked his hill.

So yesterday on Meet the Press (what? It was an action-packed installment), Chuck Todd asked Rick Santorum if he would continue to fight against marriage equality if the Court throws out the state-level bans by ruling that they violate the 14th amendment. Spoiler alert: He will. In fact, he will have not yet begun to continue to fight.
Is it me or does Rick Santorum always look
like he thinks someone's about to punch him?
"He knows what 'supreme' means, right?"
-The Supreme Court
"Well, of course I'd fight it. Roe Vs. Wade was decided 30 some years ago and...I think the court got it wrong...I'm going to continue to fight as we have on the issue of life. That's the role of a citizenry, we're not bound by what nine people say in perpetuity. We have an obligation and a right in a free society to push back..." 

-Rick Santorum pushing back
you know, cause it's what you do

Just so I'm clear, we're not bound to what nine people have to say, even if those nine people are the Supreme Court of the United States, but we are totally bound to what a bunch of guys wandering around the desert three thousand years ago thought about gay people.
"Oh cut me some slack, it was the Bronze Age. We were kind of jerks back then.
I personally ordered 3,000 people put to death for building a golden cow."
-Moses
I'm not trying to tell the GOP how
to court voters, but maybe they shouldn't put
all their eggs in to one assisted living facility.
Anyway, I'm not sure his strategy is entirely sound. Long-term. Look, I'm not trying to be a dick to old people here, but when politicians hop on the Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve train, they seem to be banking on the 65 and over crowd to help then win elections. They're the last age-based demographic that isn't onboard with gay marriage. According to this, 47% of Americans over the age of 65 approve of marriage equality, up from something like 14% back in 1996. Sure, rapidly shifting attitudes are probably a big part of that, but that's almost 20 years. A lot of those people originally surveyed didn't change their minds if you see where I'm going with this...
Ok, remember a moment ago when I said I'm not trying to be a dick to old people? I failed. But I mean, with luck, we're all going to be old people someday and when that day comes I sincerely hope that no one will listen to us either.
"Adam and Eve, not Man-Unit 1A and Eve!"
-Cranky me in the future*
Sorry, but it is impossible to get a screen
capture of this guy that isn't hilarious.
I suppose it's unfair of me to suggest that Rick Santorum is just saying he'll fight marriage equality just to win the NCIS vote, but then it's also pretty goddamn unfair to try and pull freshly won civil rights away from an entire group of people just because you have some personal, religious issue with it. Like, most Americans support same-sex marriage, so isn't that the citizenry he's talking about? Shouldn't he, by his own argument, you know, shut up and deal with the fact that sometimes people are gay?



*I am, of course, joking. I wholeheartedly support doing it with robots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment