Friday, September 20, 2019

More like Trudon't...

I know 2001 was like a long time ago, but blackface? I mean, I guess that sort of thing was acceptable back in-well, it was never acceptable, but white people were doing it as late as the fifties without facing public shame for it, but that's just because racism. But 2001? In Canada? Aren't they like, famously civilized up there?
Oh Canada...
"No, really, whatthefuck?"
-Everyone
I bring this up because photos of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, formerly known as Prime Minister Dream Boat, have surfaced showing him at parties done up in blackface and brownface make up. Yes, both. There are photos and video of at least three separate instances of this dating from the early 90's to 2001. It was like his hobby. And the Prime Minister even says  he doesn't know how many times he did this leaving Canada and I dare say, the world asking, whatthefuck?

On the other hand, Canadians know how
to do apologies. They offer apologies like
Americans offer thoughts and prayers. 
Trudeau has apologized several times imes and at least according to this white American, Trudeau's sorry's are at least convincing and that's you know, whatever, but he's the son of a former Prime Minister. Shouldn't he have known better? Like, even from a completely cynical perspective, say he had some kind of catastrophic failure of knowing how to act like a person and he was somehow unaware of the pain and offense racially insensitive costumes cause, shouldn't the reptile part of his brain have been thinking about how bad this looks?

And am I a terrible person for even thinking about the political ramifications? Well, yes, but I want to be clear that it's not for his sake. This is the middle of Canada's fifty-day political season which-yeah, fifty days. And he is a member of the Liberal party and his idiocy could help hand the election to Canada's right who I assume, if they're anything like our conservatives, will roll in and make things worse for everybody.
"As head of the Conservative party, I pledge to keep our great country's
universal healthcare system, but we will no longer provide the current
issue of magazines in the waiting room. Three months old, at minimum."
-Andrew Scheer, Conservative party leader,
to the raucous applause of party supporters
Yup, I have a Canadian Grandmother,
so I'm allowed to make Canadian jokes.
Carte blanche as they say in Quebec.
Ok, so Canada conservative probably isn't as bad as American conservative, but still, Trudeau's dumb racists costumes may well have screwed over our neighbors to the north. And I'm torn. I'm only a quarter Canadian have no dog in this hunt, or as my people say, a cheese curd in this poutine, but I don't know what to think about all this. On the one hand, this kind of thing shouldn't be tolerated, on the other, voting in conservatives-even Canadian conservatives-doesn't feel like a good move either.

The only advice I can offer to the people of Canada is this: for years now we've seen scandal after scandal come out about our politicians. When it's a Democrat, they tend to step down in disgrace and that gets us nowhere. When it's a Republican they get appointed to the Supreme Court or elected President. So I guess what I'm saying is hold your nose, vote Liberal and thank Canadian God that you're not dealing with Nazis marching in the streets. Actual Nazis. That's what we've come to.
Pictured: an actual product that exists. If you're curious,
it smells like maple, chai and racial insensitivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment