Friday, June 24, 2016

Quiiiittteeerrrs!

Well that sucked. I mean, I'm not like a stock-market guy, and I don't have a portfolio or follow the NASDAQ's or whatever, but I gather that this thing is causing a monumental economic shitstorm. What thing? You know, Britain's exit from the EU. Huh? No. I'm not going to say it. It's a terrible portmanteau and you can't make me use it.
"It's as if millions of investors suddenly
cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."
Wikipedia:
'For when you can't be bothered...'
So like most Americans chiming in on the UK's vote to leave the European Union, I don't understand it. Like, I get that it's an international political and economic organization that operates using a supernational and intergovernmental system and works to ensure the free movement of people, goods and services between the member states, but that's just because I read the wikipedia article. I don't, in any useful way, grasp the situation but that's fine because I'm not Brittish.

On the other hand, Leave did have the
man behind the Ministry of Silly Walks...
What I do get is that the 'stay in the EU' camp had more and smarter celebrity supporters including Stephen Hawking, Sir Ian McKellen, J.K. Rowling, Idris Elba and Barack Obama. Team 'let's get out' had John Clease, Micheal Caine and Joan Collins and they're great and all but they also have Vladimir Putin and he stole Crimea. Like, straight up took it over. And yeah, I get that going by which famous people support your cause is like the height of ignorance and a sign that one is politically disengaged, but holy shit, when Donald Trump is on your side it's probably time to reevaluate.

Oh yes, Donald Trump who's in Scotland right now Tweeting at us at how wild they're all going. But I think he's confused about why they're shouting, because Scotland was overwhelmingly in favor of staying in the EU and is now talking about seceding from the UK over this vote. Yes, again.
What's he doing there anyway? Uh...you don't suppose he's campaigning do you?
 I mean someone on his staff would have told him Scotland's not a state, right?
"Oh shit, if this all falls apart we're
going to have to get real jobs."
Like I said, I don't get the particulars here, but then I suspect it's fairly complicated and that not everyone who voted really sees the whole picture either. The Euro and the Pound totally took a dive today which-sorry, I shouldn't try to use economy lingo, British money and EU money became uh...less money today because investors don't know what to make of either's future. People are freaking out and I'm not sure that being angry about regulation or immigrants is really a good enough reason to plunge the planet into turmoil.

Ugh...remember these assholes?
No one knows how this will effect the UK's economy or if the EU will still be around in ten years and that has international repercussions that we'll all have to deal with. I mean, are complex multi-national organizations and global politics really the kind of thing you can sum up with a campaign ad or on a button? Am I like a total fascist for thinking that not everything should be up for a show of hands? Probably. But remember Prop-8? Like what the shit was that?

Look, I don't want to be a jerk, but sometimes just having an opinion about something like say, gay marriage or the complex interconnected web of the global economy is not the same thing as having an informed opinion from which to make sound decisions. 
"What? Ridiculous! We made signs and everything..."
-People who believe in things

No comments:

Post a Comment