Thursday, June 16, 2016

Let's add insult to incredulity!

Remember them? McCain and the Tina Fey
impression that were almost in charge of
the whole country? Shit, that was too close.
So emotions are running high right now and that's totally reasonable but c'mon, for real. Huh? For real what? Did you not see what John McCain said? He told a bunch of reporters that-huh? What'd ya mean, who? John McCain, he ran for President against Barack Obama back in 2008 and, you know, lost? Anyway, I sort of though he was coming around to being a person after he expressed his shock and horror over the Orlando Massacre and supported LGBT protections in the defense reauthorization bill, but then he said this horrible thing to some reporters earlier today:

"I'm sorry, would you say that again?
I thought you said this was all my fault
and that can't possible be what you meant."
"Barack Obama is directly responsible for it [the massacre] because when he pulled everybody out of Iraq, al Qaeda went to Syria, became ISIS and ISIS is what it is today thanks to Barack Obama's failures, utter failures by pulling everybody out of Iraq thinking that conflicts end just because we leave. So the responsibility for it lies with President Barack Obama."

 -John McCain on how
the President uh...wow...

Pictured: Basically what McCain is trying
to do with his clarifying statement.
Um, what about the guy with the gun? I mean, yikes, right? You can't un-say something like that. There's no amount of clarifying statement that can walk back holding the President responsible for a massacre. Anyway, later McCain issued a statement in which he clarified that he wasn't saying that the President was personally responsible, just his actions. Did I mention that this was all going on while the President was in Orlando comforting the victims' families?

"I misspoke. I did not mean to imply that the President was personally responsible. I was referring to President Obama's national security decisions, not the President himself."

Although I suspect Gilly is
profoundly disappointed in him.
Ok, we all misspeak sometimes. Like when you say 'affect' when you mean 'effect' or when someone drops 'impactfulness' into a sentence and then carries on like they didn't just commit a crime against the english language. But he didn't imply anything. His exact words were "Barack Obama is directly responsible..." Look, I don't think John McCain's a bad person, I mean, he probably loves his family and I don't know, his dog. And yeah this is a difficult time for everybody but holy shit. I mean holy shit. By passing this off as a verbal gaffe he's kind of calling us idiots; adding insult to incredulity. He's on tape...or audio file, I guess, saying just that and it's all over the internet. Forever.

I'm not like a Senator or anything but I think the classy thing here might be for him to admit that he went way too far and apologize. Profusely. To everyone in the world.
In turn. Line forms to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment