Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Today in why you shouldn't listen to me:

They say that there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism and--huh? Who says that? I don't know, someone. And they're probably right, but the good news is that you can still go see Barbie this weekend with the full support and blessing of everyone fighting for fair wages from the studios. 
Or Oppenheimer. Look, I'm not judging.
If there's even a chance the Witcher
is going to take a bath this season, I think
we can safely say: "what convictions?"
There's been some confusion with some calling for a boycott while others cautioning against one on the idea that it might hurt the people we're trying to support. I suggested that everyone canceling one streaming service each would be a great way to send a message without making us choose between our convictions and watching the new season of The Witcher. But as it happens, this is a terrible idea. Luckily not many people read my blog and I suspect even fewer would actually take my unsolicited and un-researched advice. 

Above: a typical studio coffer, seen here
being enjoyed by an executive. 
Anyway, people who know what they're talking about have weighed in, including Michelle Hurd, whom I know from Star Trek: Picard, but movie people know as the vice president of SAG-AFTRA. According to Hurd, a boycott isn't out of the question, but we should wait and see what the Unions involved say and so far they're not calling for one. Of course, in the meantime the money from our subscriptions and movie tickets is still ending up in the coffers of Disney and Paramount and the rest. However, some of that, not enough, but some, will trickle down to the people who did all the creative heavy lifting. 

And if tricking down sounds like a loaded phrase, that's because it is. But it's still better than nothing, which in twenty-first century America, is usually the best anyone can hope for. 
Pictured: the moment everything went wrong forever.
And no, I don't think I'm being overly dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment