Sunday, July 23, 2023

Let the dogpiling commence!

Above: This. This is what the letter
"X" conjures for most people. 
I'm sorry, are X's still cool or are they cringe? Am using cringe correctly? Ask a youth for me, would you? Look, I may have a prejudiced view of the twenty-forth letter of the alphabet. As a teen in the 90's, I witnessed firsthand its awkward insertion of "X" into branding by marketing people who thought, I don't know, that it was edgy or mysterious or something. But it was just dumb. Mountain Dew was X-treme. The X-Games were sports, but somehow x-treme-er than regular sports. And now the letter just stands as a flannel-clad reminder of a more in-your-face and 'tude-oriented time.

But where I'm going with this is this thing about Elong Musk changing Twitter's logo and apparently name from the blue bird icon, and, you know, Twitter to an X and the letter X respectively. Just X. We're all supposed to call it X now, I guess. 
"Uh...k..."
-Literally everyone in the world
"We will finally be rid of this simple, eye
-catching, and universally recognized logo"
-Musk, evidently
I don't care about Twitter and I'm not a marketing person, but holy shit. Like, this is just the worst idea in the history of terrible ideas. Did he...did he think he's the first one to think of this? It's practically ungoogleable. Well, it will be. For now a story about this nonsense comes up, but that's just because Musk just tweeted about, or, X'd about it? I don't even know. Remember how long it took people start using tweet as a verb for posting? Because it was months of tweeter and twit jokes before everyone caught on.

In another x-ing or whatever, Musk said that the use of the letter is "To embody the imperfections in us all that make us unique." Your guess is as good as mine. Imperfections like not being good at marketing I suppose? Oh, and also this:
Wait...is Elon Musk threatening birds? Like, all birds? What is going on here?

To most of the world this gesture
means "no" or "danger." And I really
think they're on to something.
Again, I have no dog in this hunt. Yeah, I haven't deleted my account yet--I will--but I don't care what happens to Twitter as a company, but someone must, right? People like the, what do you call them? Rich people who own shares? Surely they have thoughts about this. Thoughts like, what is this lunatic doing and how did someone this bad at business become the richest human on the face of the Earth? The man has his own space program. I ask you, how has it come to this? Oh, right. Inherited wealth...



No comments:

Post a Comment