Saturday, March 18, 2023

The pro life people everybody...

A state, but one I think we increasingly
regret letting back in the Union.
I think it's super that nine South Carolina lawmakers have pulled their support from a bill that would call for executing women who have abortions, I really am but--huh? Oh yes, it's a thing. South Carolina lawmakers are trying to pass a law that would make having an abortion a crime punishable by death. The bill would--what's that? Uh, yes, death. Like, they'd execute you for a medical procedure that was legal everywhere like a year ago. Anyway, the South Carolina lawmakers sponsored the--yes, that South Carolina. The one that is one of the United States...in Anno domini twenty twenty-three.

The proposal was put forward by Republicans Representative Robert Harris, and the twenty-four lawmaker who were co-sponsoring it are all Republicans as well. Because of course they are. The same people that have been beating us all over the head for decades about how pro life they are want to execute women.
"We're pro some lives. Zygotes mostly."
-Rob Harris, bucking the trend
by being a white dude with an
opinion about abortion

Say, you don't suppose Representative
David Vaughn is full of shit do you?
Anyway, What I was saying is that nine of the twenty-four co-sponsors have jumped ship. One of them, David Vaughn, actually claimed that he co-sponsored it in error. In error. Like, is he just signing on to bills willy-nilly or was he just innocently waving a pen around and the text of the bill fluttered in through an open window? I don't know about you, and I realize I'm not in the South Carolina State House, but I have accidentally supported exactly zero pieces of legislation in my life.

South Carolina: we brought back firing squads!
The state tourism bureau's ill-advised new slogan.
According to the article, the national attention the bill garnered is the reason some of them got cold feet. Sure, they love executing people down there, but being the state that executes people for something that most Americans agree should be a constitutional right, makes them look, you know, like a bunch of ignorant, backwards, goons. But that presupposes a sense of shame on their part, and I'm not sure anyone with a sense of shame would propose such a bill in the first place.

So like I said, I'm happy that nine of them are suddenly uncomfortable with making women's choices about healthcare a capital offense. I am. I just find it unbelievable that they'd even bring it up in the first place.
Huh? Oh that. To be clear, that was a Capitol offense.
Totally different. Republicans are fine with that one.


No comments:

Post a Comment