Monday, February 27, 2023

You know what really doesn't pay off, Scott?

Look, I don't want to tell people with shitty worldviews how to live, but you'd think--particularly now--that they'd know better than to, say, go on racist screeds in Anno Domini MMXXIII, right? Look, I don't care about Dilbert--like, at all--but what I am interested in is asking what Scott Adams's endgame here was? Like, what was his plan? I mean, what did he think would happen when he put his horseshit out there for all to enjoy?
Was he hoping for condemnation, the erasure of whatever goodwill he might have
had, and every paper in the country dropping his comic strip the instant he opened
his racist face-hole? Because that what he got. Like at the speed of outrage. 
Oh no! What's Black America going
to do without Scott Adam's help?
I didn't want to watch the video for the same reason I don't watch Dr. Pimple Popper; I just don't what that in my brain. But I did watch it, and it's as gross as you think it is. He found some weird right-wing poll about race, decided that there's no fixing racism and advises white people to "escape" from Black people by moving into white neighborhoods. Oh, and then announced that he's going to "back off" from being helpful to Black America. 

I'm not super-clear on how writing Dilbert
was helpful to Black America, but I don't know...
"I'm going to back off from being helpful to Black America. Because it doesn't seem like it pays off. Like, I've been doing it all my life, and I've been--the only outcome is that I get called a racist."

-Noted cartoonist and racist Scott Adams

Ok, but surely even he's got to admit that saying things like helping Black people doesn't pay off, sounds pretty racist, right?

Anyway, after showering, I'm left with the question of what was he looking for here? Was he thinking that the tens of Dilbert fans out there might flock to his cause? Or that America, as a nation, might suddenly revert to separate water fountains and red line neighborhoods just because Scott Adams is feeling under appreciated?
Like, literally no one anywhere was asking Scott "Dilbert" Adams to chime in on
race in America. No one. All he had to do was keep his shitty opinions to himself,
and the five or six newspapers left would still be running his dumb comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment