Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Sticker fraud is a serious crime.

Barely. I mean, you do have two get
up off it briefly and go to the mailbox.
Hey, it's Election Day, so go vote. I mean, they even mailed you a ballot if you live in California, so you barely have to get off the couch. Also, Republicans hate it when decent humans vote. That's why they're doing whole "let's crack down on the ones of cases of voter fraud every year by disenfranchising anyone who might vote Democratic" thing. And if it sounded like I just suggested that no one who votes Republican in 2022 can be a decent human, it's because I did and that is indeed the case.

Yeah, I know we're all Americans and unity and moving forward, but it's openly the party of white supremacy, don't say gay, misogyny, transphobia, anti-intellectualism, anti-democracy, and guns. So many guns. So there, I've said it, Republicans and the people who vote for them are, by definition and by platform, asshats.
Above: Ipso facto.
Ok, or this. But are we honestly 
 prepared to count it out just yet?  
But that's not really why we're talking about this. So the narrative here in California the last few days has been "oh no! Voter turn out is terrible!" And is is. Both in the sense that it's low and that it's a problem. Something like fourteen percent of the ballots have been sent in so far and the election is tomorrow. So let's panic? Well, yes, there are a lot of things in the world worthy of panic. Like, almost everything from 2016 on. But maybe not this? 

Obviously low turnout is how we get the Trumps of this world, but I think there are two things to bear in mind regarding today's election. Well, three, the first being go vote. I mean, what's wrong with you? They even mail you the sticker now. What more do you need?
So you can be smug at work. Huh? What's that? No. No you can't just
wear the sticker without voting. That's sticker fraud and it's a federal offense.
Speaking of, hey Texas, this
November, vote the fascists out.
But the second thing is this is a primary election. One of those, hey, I'm seeing a lot of "I voted" stickers, is there an election or something? ones. Somehow people just don't get as excited by the prospect of choosing the Democratic candidate for comptroller as they do marching to the polls to vote fascists out of office like we did last time. So yes, it's not ok that only fourteen percent of ballots have been sent in, but I don't know that it means we don't care about democracy. It just means that we don't care about the boring parts of democracy. Like comptrollers. 

The other thing is, this is California. Of course everyone is waiting until the last minute. I've been out here the better part of twelve years and you just have to build in California time. A less mature version of me would make a crack about how everyone is stoned and just spaced what day it is and--oh, shit, that's it isn't it? Goddamnit...
I mean, tell me I'm wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment