Sunday, November 5, 2023

Today in temporal kitchen rifts:

Did you know that this is the end of Daylight Savings time and that we were supposed to set out clock back? Because I didn't. And spent a good five minutes thinking that I was loosing my mind when my microwave thought it was six thirty in the morning while my phone existed in some temporal bubble where it was still five thirty. 
Above: how I spent my morning.

Drones. Farmers have drones now.
They can set an alarm like everybody else. 
What was I doing up at half past five or six a.m. on a Sunday? You let me worry about that. And in fact, I do. I think it's a mild form of insomnia, but the point is could we, as a civilization just put an end to this spring forward, fall back nonsense once and for all? My un-researched understanding is that it has something to do with farmers needing to get up to water the crops or whatever, but it's not the eighteen hundreds anymore. Farmers have broadband and wifi, they can handle it.

Pictured: Thunder Bay...wait, seriously?
This place is called Thunder Bay?
I blame Canadians. At least I do now that I did a lazy internet search for "why daylight savings time?" And did you know it's only been around for like a hundred years? And while it was suggested by Benjamin Franklin, presumably between coining phrases and brothel visits, it was invented by a New Zealander called George Vernon Hudson, and popularized by the German empire in 1916 during one of their attempts to take over the world. But it was Port Arthur, Ontario that first implemented it. Incidentally, Port Arthur is now known by the incredibly metal-sounding name: Thunder Bay. So, thanks...

I mean, Pennywise can strike anytime
night or day, so so much for that argument.
So why do we keep doing Kaiser's bidding in this, anno domini MMXXIII? I've heard it's now mostly to save electricity and so that kids don't have to go to school in the dark. Now, I'm a childless shut-in, but it kind of seems like they could just change the time the busses comes instead of asking the entire country to figure out how to change the clock on their dashboards. Time is a meaningless construct already so there's no real reason kids can't go to school at eight-thirty instead of seven-thirty. 

Anyway, I obviously worked out that my clock discrepancy was a result of the end of Daylight Savings time and not say a rift in the space-time continuum in the kitchen, but my point stands. Which point? Oh, that Daylight Savings time is an atavism we should abolish so--actually, you know, as dumb as I think it is, most clocks automatically update to the correct time so the inconvenience is pretty minimal at this point. I suppose I'm just cranky about the five minutes I spent questioning my sanity this morning.
Let's just chalk it up to the ghost of Guy Fawkes exacting revenge for that time
he was caught trying to blow up Parliament. Speaking of, Happy Bonfire Night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment