Saturday, September 30, 2023

This is America, getting shot is like a 50/50...

Should a guy facing so many charges be
calling for harsher penalties? Just asking...
I know saying that something former president and current defendant in oh so many criminal cases Donald Trump said is batshit is, you know, obvious, but I mean:

"Very simply, if you rob a store, you can fully expect to be shot as you are leaving that store. Shot."

-A thing a guy many, but at no point 
a majority of, Americans voted for

Above: this. It's this.
And then after he said this latest insane thing, the assembled crowd at the California State GOP convention cheered before wiping the rabid foam from their chins. And I mean, look, I know that in his mind his narrow, questionable, and unexpected electoral college victory in 2016 entitles him to go unquestioned and unaccountable when it comes to the violent nonsense that escapes his cheeseburger hole, but this is objectively bananas.

I work in a bookstore and we get ripped off constantly. But at no point in any of the many interactions with idiot teens with a pack of pot-themed tarot cards secreted artlessly in their hoodie pocket, has it ever occurred to me to wish them dead. 
I mean, at some point I have to blame us for carrying pot
themed tarot cards in the first place. They're like teen catnip.
Even if he had a gun, I'm not sure
I could take this guy seriously.
We've been screaming ourselves hoarse about how the MAGA people are fascist goons willing to do anything, up to and including resorting to violence to take over, and the Right is just like, "Yeah, we know, and we're ok with that." And I'm not sure how we're supposed to get along with them. These people are comfortable with and supportive of a guy who gets in front of a crowd and says something like: "When I'm president, I'm going to grant every mall cop and store security guard the use of lethal force to defend goddamn Ross and Forever 21." 

And yet when Trump was President and an angry mob--somewhere between in denial and just butthurt that he lost the election--stormed the U.S. Capitol he not only didn't call in the National Guard, he didn't even try to call them off. 
And I mean, not for nothing, but this is America. Thanks to Republicans we already
fully expect to be shot as we are leaving a store. Or into a store. Or really anywhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment