Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Discuss Star Trek? If you insist...

Yeah, that's the one.
"Happy First Contact Day!" I say. "What even are you talking about?" You might reply. To which I nerdsplain: "Why today is First Contact Day, the day we celebrate, or rather will celebrate, the day the Vulcans will land/landed in Montana in exactly fourteen thousand, six-hundred and ten days. Then, confronted with the reality that humans aren't alone I the universe, we put aside our petty squabbling, and start exploring the galaxy." After which you give me a look that can only be described as tolerant pity. 

It's also the first day of Passover, which
is a real holiday celebrated by millions.
Yes, it is that time of year again, perhaps the holiest of holy days in the Geek Orthodox Calendar. And I thought I'd mark the occasion by talking about Star Trek. I know, I know, tolerant pity, but I mean, no one's making you read this. Still there? Super. Are you keeping up with Star Trek: Picard? Great, beaches if you weren't, now would be the time to bail, because, I don't know, spoilers? Anyway, yes, to answer the question I'm sure you're thinking of right now, yes, I do like it. Kind of.

Above: A scene from season,
uh, one? Episode...whatever.
That is to say, as a life long fan of the various Stars Trek, Picard, the series, is one of them. Is it good? I don't know. Objectively speaking, I'd say no. If there is a Platonic ideal of streaming prestige television, Star Trek Picard doesn't not meet it. It's derivative, slow, and falls into the trap so many series fall into these days of starting with a big opener, followed by eight episodes of filler, and then big finish. Individual episodes are kind of forgettable. There're no Darmock and Jalad, or Four Lights here, just a vague blur of plot points.

A scene from season three in which
I count at least thirteen references. 
That said, with four more episodes to go, season three is better. Much better even. And look, I say the show isn't good and I stand by that, but I also really like it. How come? Well, it's with no small amount of shame that I admit to you that it's about the fan service. So much fan service. Every episode is a "who's who" and a "what's what" of "remember that?." That is to say, packed full of call-backs, references, and easter eggs all waiting for nerds like me to feel smart for getting them. 

It's cheap and I fall for it every time. Don't get me wrong, it's great seeing the original cast back together and the story is fun with an interesting mystery, and holy shit, Amanda Plumber and Todd Stashwick are fantastic, but I can't help but feel a little, you know, like a chump? Am I wrong for feeling this way?
Pictured: Captain Shaw, seen here backing me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment