Monday, January 25, 2021

Today in real vision:

They know who J. K. Rowling is, right? I ask because-huh? Who? Why the people who run HBO, I suppose. I ask because they're apparently developing a Harry Potter TV show
It takes some real vision to look at the $25 billion 
that Harry Potter has made and see potential. 

Pictured: industry.
Maybe developing isn't the word, I don't know, I'm not like an industry insider or anything. In fact, I probably shouldn't use the word "industry" without prefacing it with "film and television." But I do read Variety. Well, ok, I read Variety if an interesting article on some other site links to it and you know what? Doesn't matter. The point is that they're not filming yet, they're just at the "talking about it stage" of The Chronicles of The Rise of Harry Potter: The Series. Which isn't even a working title, because no one is working yet.

There's nothing. No cast, no scripts, and no sense of when and where in the Harry Potter cinematic universe the series is set, or even if it relates to the films at all.
Incredibly, several other TV productions have managed
 to find success without being connected to Harry Potter.

It's like they say, strike while the iron
is cooled off, back in the cupboard and
has a 36% on Rotten Tomatoes. 
But what I want to know is why is this even a thing that they're talking about? Ten years after the last Harry Potter movie (last successful one anyway) and just a year after the author decided to air her, what's the word? Odious? Yeah, that works. Her odious views on trans people? I know that there's an argument to be made that one can and should separate the artist from the art, and that's super. But if said artist is using that art and the resulting fame to attack trans women, then maybe don't give her more money? Especially now. 

Yeah, I can't think of any either, but
surely someone, somewhere must 
 have written an original script.
Remember when that last President we had, I forget his name, just out of nowhere banned trans people from serving in the military? Out of, I don't know, spite and some pathological need to please the barking dumbs who put him in office. That's the kind of people she's standing with, and maybe handing her another revenue stream isn't the best. Besides, I've heard that there are other books one can adapt for television, and not only that, but sometimes, sometimes, people write new things. Like, that's what I've heard. 

Anyway, President Biden, who's the President now, and not whatisface, President Biden reversed that ban on trans people serving in the military today. So, you know, good news: the transphobes don't always win. 
That's refreshing right? A President not using the power
 of the office to make people's lives more miserable? 

No comments:

Post a Comment