Saturday, November 7, 2020

Really? On the golf course? You don't say...

You know, a lot has been made today about President Trump being out on the golf course when he found out that most of the major news networks had finally called the race in Joe Biden's favor, but I mean, is that really surprising?

Fitting, yes, but not surprising. I mean, there was like a 50/50 change he'd
be either golfing or tweeting something racist when he heard the news.
So the shoes would be both a ruling
and the Justices themselves? I...I, think
I may have lost the thread here. 
Anyway, I'm cautiously thrilled. Can one be cautiously thrilled? I don't know, like I said yesterday, I'm still waiting for the other shoe. Or really the other six shoes, three of which Trump appointed himself even though by all rights at least one of those wasn't really his to-uh...uh...look, I'm going for a Supreme Court joke here about how this bankruptcy aficionado who has now lost two popular votes got to appoint a third of the Supreme Court. The shoe that drops would be some kind of last minute Court intervention that-look, this isn't working, so I'm just going to back away from this metaphor.

Suffice it to say that Amy Barrett's last minute appointment over everyone's objections feels even worse now that we know that when it happened the President was like two weeks out from losing his job. But I guess it's better than being stuck with her for the next forty years and Trump for another four. In any case, there's still a lot of work to do. Like, a lot. Like, a "we rented out house out on airbnb and someone had a party and trashed it" lot to do.
Pictured: America after four years of Trump.
Hey, that was way better than my last metaphor!
Furniture to re-cover...
There are executive orders to reverse, environmental protections to put back in place, people to let out of cages...oh, and the pandemic. Which is not only still a thing, but worse than ever. The President-elect and Vice President-elect have already started putting together a team and a response which is 100% more than the current occupant of the White House has done about COVID-19 since first learning of the disease's existence, so I guess we're already ahead of the game.

But that's for later. Today is a day to celebrate. Cautiously and within reason, because if the last few years have taught us anything is that something can and often will come out of nowhere and ruin everything at any moment.
Wait a minute, a President who won the popular
vote and isn't a narcissistic, science-denying, white
supremacist-courting fascist? I could get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment